Monday, May 14, 2018

Planting Progress


Romaine lettuce planted in one of the raised beds. One has flopped over and doesn't look good, but the other 5 are doing okay.


And at the other end are leeks. Both the leeks and the lettuce were purchased as small plants at Home Hardware.


Today, I just had to get these perennials planted in their designated locations. This is a southern exposure in the back garden. The other day, I planted a Montmorency cherry tree. And today were added 6 phlox (four David and two Big Boy Blue), two white prairie mallow, one Japanese bottlebrush in the back row. On either side of the cherry tree were planted two peonies. And in front of the peonies were planted a sweet meadow rue and a Baby Joe Mist Flower.
I did not have the energy to dig out the entire bed, but just dug holes where the plants were going. I will dig around and remove the grass in later days. But these guys needed to be planted as they were sprouting in their pots.


And next to the clothes pole, I planted a Sunset clematis which will have ruby red flowers. In front of it, I planted some annual sweet alyssum to shade the roots. To help this to grow, I will cut some chicken wire and staple it to the pole so that the clematis can clamber upwards. If the one planted last year survives, there will be clematis on both sides of this pole with glorious flowers.


This is the viburnum that was planted late last year. It was severely nibbled by the deer, but it has survived and is putting on lots of new growth.  I have planted another viburnum in the shade garden in the front. That one is considerably larger, being about 24" high already. I don't know if there will be any flowers on these this year, I doubt it, but I will be happy if they just grow significantly.

And the lilac that was here on the property is full of buds. It should be covered with blossoms in about 2 weeks time. It will be beautiful.














No comments:

Post a Comment