Monday, May 21, 2018

Planting May long week-end




The pink phlox was planted last year and is doing well, so today I added a purple moss phlox to fill out this bed. If it works, get more of it! Even after the flowers are gone, the foliage remains pretty so it gets thumbs up from me.



I decided to clean out this bed beside the garage. It doesn't get much sun, except for the end corner where there is a day lily with the prettiest shade of pink flower that I have ever seen. As I cleared out the weeds, I discovered two peonies. I don't know how well they will do in this bed, as they won't get that much sun (the bed is shaded by a maple tree just outside the picture frame).  But I will wait and see how they do before moving or replacing them. So I added some good top soil to the bed, and planted two aquilegia and one perennial geranium in the bed.


This is a perennial geranium planted at the corner of the deck near the steps. And in the planter are two gorgeous snap dragons, two double flower impatiens in white and pink, and some lobelia in front to trail over the edge.


All my planters seem to be green this year; I think this is the most popular colour at the garden centres. As I only have Home Hardware within a short drive, I went with what they have. In this pot, I planted two shades of calibrachoa and two English ivies to trail over the rim. These are great flowers, sort of like mini petunias, but they bloom non-stop and don't require dead-heading.


In this final pot, I planted three ivy-leaf geraniums. I have always liked this variety of geranium as it trails and has delicate flowers. Perhaps I should have added some contrast into this pot, but it is what it is.

So far we have been really lucky with respect to the bugs. But today the black flies have made an appearance and they will probably be quite bad within a couple of days. So I have to get the rest of the plants into the garden tomorrow or Wednesday. After that, I will have to wear a bug jacket and hat to survive outside.










No comments:

Post a Comment