Wednesday, May 30, 2018

May 30 and hot


30 degrees Celsius and no rain.  It takes a full hour to water one half of the new plants. I hope it rains soon.


These two peonies have come up in a very shady bed beside the garage. They have buds on them, so we shall see what colour they are.  Between them I planted two columbines, but the dog keeps trekking through this spot, so they may not survive.


This is a very healthy pink day lily. It has the prettiest shade of pink flowers. Right beside it is a spot to put another rain barrel.


And since it is now warm enough, the tomato plants have been put into a raised bed. Each has a tin can around it to prevent the dreaded cutworm sawing them off. The tripod structure is 6 bamboo canes tied together; at the base of each is planted a runner bean seed. Hopefully they will soon emerge and begin to clamber up the bamboo.


And while weeding, I pulled out what I thought was another maple tree trying to sprout. To my surprise, out came an acorn. I had tried to get acorns to sprout with no luck this past year, so this was greeted with delight and put into a safe spot at the corner of a flower bed between our yard and the neighbours. She has no trees in her yard, I am hoping she will appreciate an oak tree giving her a bit of much-needed shade.







No comments:

Post a Comment