Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Garden Progress




Some much needed rain, but not nearly enough. I had forgotten how dry Ontario summers can be, having lived for 3 decades in Nova Scotia.
This is a bed that is dedicated to annuals, in the back are cosmos, then a row of annual daisies, and in front some snap dragons that were started from seed.
Plans are to expand this bed bit by bit. Digging takes a lot of energy and I just don't have enough to get this done in big chunks.


This is a lovely begonia on the front porch. Glistening with the rain drops.


A new tree/shrub - a dappled willow. This is planted near the garage on the lot line between us and the neighbour. It only grows to about 6 feet tall and just as wide. It has the prettiest foliage, the new leaves coming out in blush pink.


The vegetable bed with leeks, carrots, peppers and lettuce. There were no weeds until I put in the carrot and lettuce seeds, then the weeds came on furiously. Makes me wonder what was in those seed packets.


The veggie bed with runner beans to grow up the bamboo poles, a few lettuce and the rest is tomato plants. The tin cans are to protect the young plants from cut worms. I should be able to take them off in a week or so.


The two clematis plants are doing great; I hope I don't jinx them by putting that down. I planted a lot of alyssum around them to shade their roots. In this location, they get about 5-6 hours of afternoon sun.
These are planted on either side of the clothes line pole to which I stapled nylon chicken wire for them to clamber on.


And another clematis planted against the chain link fence. In front are snap dragons which should shade their roots.

Hubby is giving some thought to how to water all these plants. He says we need to think up some method of drip irrigation that uses the rain water. In the meantime, I lug gallon after gallon of water around to all the new plants. I put in some petunias earlier today and was amazed to see that the bed was literally dust. I don't know how anything survives in this dry climate.







No comments:

Post a Comment