Thursday, October 12, 2017

Deer and more planting


I noticed yesterday that the deer had eaten a good part of the annabelle hydrangea and the viburnum that I planted in the back yard. I should have sprayed these with the deer repellent solution I bought at Dwight's.  But I thought, since the other hydrangea had remained unscathed, that these might be okay as well. But they are at the far edge of the back yard and that is where the deer run through regularly. I have seen their footprints in the soil near the plants. I bought something called Bobbex which stinks. You mix it one part to five parts of water and spray the foliage. Hopefully these two sorry plants will have enough left on them to give the roots what they need to grow before the cold winter sets in.

I continue to dig out the bed by the driveway, which is right next to the new neighbour's yard. My husband asked if I was sure that this was our property, it might be hers. I am pretty sure our line comes from the fire hydrant to the pole in the back corner, but the neighbour really shouldn't care as it is her garage that is on this side and she won't ever see this garden until she comes around with her mower.
Besides, it might actually please her to see flowers here close to her yard.

I am digging out the bed in a half moon shape. Just one more section to be dug after today. This is tiring work, digging up the sod and tossing them into the wheelbarrow, then banging off what earth can be salvaged. I then mixed the original soil with a bag of Compost Plus and put it back into the bed.

Next to the boulder (moved by Isaac and Sarah), I have planted Aronia Melanocarpe "Low Scape Mound" which is a new dwarf chokeberry. It is extremely hardy to zone 3 and will do well in half a day's sun. It grows to about 24" across by 16" high, which is a nice tidy size. It is a low-growing ground cover shrub with dark glossy green foliage in summer that turns an intense red in the fall. In late spring, it bears loads of white flowers that appear similar to hydrangea and these are followed in the fall with dark purple, almost black, berries.

                                      

This bed now has irises at the top edge, then three peonies marked by the sticks and this new aronia.


I still have one-third of the bed to dig and this will be left unplanted until next spring. I have a dozen iris riticulata to plant and I will cluster these next to the boulder. The warmth from that might bring them up early. I would love to see some soft pink flowers next to this boulder as well. Perhaps impatiens or petunias. Definitely this bed will be planted with annuals so that there is continuous colour throughout the summer. 


The excess soil was taken to the raised beds in the back yard. Slowly, slowly these beds are filling up. And it amazes me when I press down on them with my fingers, they are soft and spongy to the touch, and this is looking good to me for vegetables next summer.





No comments:

Post a Comment