Sunday, September 17, 2017

Sunday, September 16th


We are getting a spell of hot weather. Today's high is 27. People here are saying that this is the summer weather that didn't come in July or August. Coming from the Maritimes, I thought the month of August was pretty good, as the temperature was always 25 or higher and it didn't rain as much as it does on the east coast. It's all relative, I guess.

Yesterday, I planted the Annabelle hydrangea along with the Shasta daisy but today I moved the daisy. That hydrangea promises to be 1.25 metres tall and wide, and the daisy was just too close.

These are planted on the edge of the back yard next to the neighbour's wood shed. A common sight in rural areas, but really not that pretty.

                                     

Another picture of the two looking toward the west. This is the part of the yard that has the best grass so I hope that means the soil in this area is good. These will get a fair amount of afternoon sun; it is said that this type of hydrangea can take full sun in the northern hemisphere. It is one of the hydrangeas with the big floppy white flowers called mopheads.

                                     

And not your usual daisy type. This one has a kind of fluffier flower head, more like a chrsyanthemum.
Daisies have always been a favourite of mine. I had them tied into my hair for my wedding.


This is the honeysuckle. It is planted in the raised bed by the driveway and I will add a trellis for it to climb up this wall. It will have lots of room to grow in this bed; there is nothing else planted there except a creeping phlox in the corner. Next spring I will put in some yellow alyssum, commonly known as "basket of gold". It is such a sign that spring has come. I used to see it in rock gardens throughout Halifax, but could never grow it myself as I didn't have a sunny location for it.


This is a Virginia creeper, a vigorous vine that grows quickly. I was reading on several sites that you have to careful with this as it is unstoppable and will grow everywhere, springing up from wherever it touches the soil. So I will keep it trimmed as I don't think it would be good if it did in the deck. But there is a lot of ugly lattice to be covered here, and I think this fellow might just do the trick. It was certainly very attractive in our back garden in Nova Scotia. 


A picture taken from above; it is small right now but just wait. It is also displaying its gorgeous fall colour - crimson red. The leaves are so pretty; apparently it resembles poison ivy. I didn't know that.


Then I planted the sweet autumn clematis in the back garden, in the corner where there is a tumbling down fence and a number of rounded boulders. It is quite different from other clematis; this is a mounding climber that is difficult to kill (yeah). I have always liked this spot; it is right underneath a big pine tree but far enough away from the tree that the grass grows well. So it should be okay there. The autumn leaves of this clematis are such a pretty colour. And I look forward to seeing this grow and mound up over the rocks and wood with an abundance of white flowers in late summer. It is also said to be very fragrant.


Again, the books and websites warn that this is an invasive climber and should only be placed in a spot where it won't take over. Like I care!  I want things to take over in this garden. Surely it can be managed with a pair of clippers. I am amazed when I read that this should be pruned down to about 15" from the ground each spring, that it will make all that new growth in one season. I'm not sure I am ready to cut back new growth that often; I may just let it go and see what it does, before I try pruning it.
This will be a great spot to sit if this grows well; the flowers and the fragrance will be so nice in this semi-shady spot.


And this is a photo of the black-eye susans planted two weeks ago. Hard to believe that these were in two 1-gallon pots. They are just thriving. And they are one of my favourite flowers. I could easily handle having half a yard full of these cheery fellows. 


I counted up how many plants I have put in the garden since moving here in early August. And the total is 30. Hard to believe that there are 30 new plants here, the property is such a size that they are lost in it. I can't imagine how many plants will have to go in before it really begins to look like a full garden. As someone said to me, don't count the cost when you are gardening. And I am not. I figure this is an investment in beauty and joy. 

Over the years, when we drove from Renfrew west towards Barry's Bay, we would pass a field full of sunflowers. They were grown by a company that produced animal food and wild bird seed. And the field was jammed with these flowers, all turning to face the sun. I looked for it every time I left Renfrew or was entering it. Sadly, the company stopped planting these two years ago and I think the field is now up for rent. So sad, it was a beautiful sight.

But something nice has taken its place. Further along the road, near Douglas, there are some farms owned by Amish people who moved here about 4 years ago. And their vegetable gardens are amazing. Their tomatoes are ready a month before anyone else's. Plus there is always the chance that you might see some of the Amish driving their horse and buggies along the side of the road. They have no cars, no electricity, no phones on their properties. A window into a totally different lifestyle. And a sight that I look forward to every time I drive that road. 











No comments:

Post a Comment