Friday, September 8, 2017

September 8 - add some gold


Today's gardening is getting the rudbeckia plants in place in the back yard. This is the edge of our property, the shed and woodpile behind belong to our neighbour Ernie.

These plants are quite vigorous; they all came out of 2 pots purchased at the grocery store. These are a little different from the usual black-eye susans; they have a dark ring around the central cone and then the petals are gold. I had planted another one of these in the bed beside the driveway and it is flourishing. I had thought of moving it to join these, but it is doing so well that I will leave it where it is for now.


Next summer, I plan on adding more of these in this spot and then putting a ring of purple coneflowers in front. Or beside perhaps, as coneflowers will probably get taller than the black eye susans and I wouldn't want to interfere with such a pretty sight. I love the combination of the gold and deep rose that comes in fall; I find it particularly pleasing.


And today, I added the grass clippings to the raised beds, then put cow manure on top of that. Then I threw some of the soil that was dug up in the course of planting on top of it all. I have about 6 more inches of soil to make before these can be planted with vegetables, so there is quite a way to go yet. But this should be a very fertile place for veggies to grow.





No comments:

Post a Comment