Saturday, September 2, 2017

September 2


A beautiful day here with sunshine and a temperature of 18 outside,  perfect for a planting.

Another hydrangea planted on the edge of the front yard. I read in a gardening book that, if you want to have a garden, never call your property a "yard" but always call it a garden. I think that you have to have  made some progress in gardening  before you can call it that. I am nowhere near that.

This is a hydrangea called Little Lime, a dwarf version of the popular Limelight hydrangeas. This one will grow between 3 and 5 feet tall. My plan here is to see how this fares with regards to the deer. If they eat this plant, then I will have to forego the idea of a hedge full of these. But if they leave it alone, then next spring I can plant an entire row of these along the curve of the driveway.


Seen from further away, it is about 18" tall at the moment. Full of blossoms that are beginning to turn their fall shade of pink.


And seen from the front step with the foxgloves (and the ugly downspout) in the foreground.


I think that is about it for planting perennials this year. It is getting too cold at night and I am not sure that plants would get much of a growing start before frost comes. There will be bulbs to be planted however, and those will probably be in a month's time.

I have been watching a lot of gardening videos which accounts for my new love of hydrangeas. I had never heard of Mackinaw Island before, what a paradise for gardeners.

This is a link to one garden tour. So beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P9EG5rHGzw









No comments:

Post a Comment