Sunday, August 20, 2017

A new bed with three perennials


Yesterday I planted three perennials in a new bed that Nick helped me to dig right next to the driveway and the front walk. This location gets morning sun and a few hours of late afternoon sun as well, so it should work well for this combination. 


The plant on the left is a hardy chrysanthemum in a lovely shade of true pink with a yellow centre. I have seen one like this in Halifax, coming into blossom every late summer/fall and have tried unsuccessfully to find one. So when I saw this at Gerber's nursery on Friday, I knew it had to come home with me. Then in the centre at the right angle of the bed is a daylily also in a shade of pink, this time a kind of coral pink. And the plant on the right is a Bobo panicle hydrangea. This is a petite shrub that will grow 1.5 metres tall and spread about 1 metre. 


This is the year that I have come to appreciate hydrangeas. I have never really paid much attention to them and I am not a huge fan of the really big round blossom types. They seem too common to me and the blossoms fade to a dusty brown. These panicle type turn pink in fall and I prefer both the shape and the colour much more. I think there are going to be quite a few more hydrangeas in this garden's future.





No comments:

Post a Comment